Everyone who knows me knows I really miss New York pizza, ever since moving here 13 years ago. Over the years, Northern Virginia has gradually gotten better about its pizza. I know closer to DC there are better / more authentic pizza places, but out here almost all restaurants are chains. Here’s what I’ve found that I like, in approximate order:
1) Primo Italiano (Reston): Small chain, just a few stores. My favorite. Unfortunately, they don’t deliver this far out, and they’re closed on Sundays.
2) Mama Lucia’s (Reston): Small chain. More of an eat-in restaurant. Good, but a little too greasy, even for N.Y. style. Great free appetizer bread.
3) Deli Italiano (Great Falls): Non-chain (as far as we know). Delivers to the house, good pizza, especially the crust. This is what we usually eat, because of the delivery. A little pricey.
4) Emilio’s (Sterling): Eat-in restaurant. Brick oven, crispy crust. Quite good.
5) Pizzarama (Great Falls): A mile from our house, but doesn’t deliver. Pretty good, though the sauce is a little too sweet for me. They are the only place we’ve found in VA that has garlic knots like N.Y., so they get extra points for that.
If you know someplace else we should check out locally, let me know!